The National Taiwan University (NTU) has cultivated generation after generations of distinguished NTU alumni since its foundation in 1928. Over the past decades, NTU has successfully accomplished hundreds and thousands of extraordinary records and left behind enormous amount of touching stories. These historical real life memories and minute traces on the path of academic growth are all pieced together at The Gallery of National Taiwan University History, forming the pillar of the NTU spirit. The Gallery of National Taiwan University History not only testify the university’s robust, but also act as turning gears along the time scale, persistently driving NTU into further excellency.
Predecessor being the Taihoku Imperial University during the period of Japanese occupation, NTU was established in the third year of Showa Period, in 1928, on April 30. It was not until 1945, the year Japan was defeated and Taiwan regained its own governing rights, that NTU had its first Taiwanese president, with full responsibility of all university administrative works. The first president was Mr. Tsung-lo Lo. On complete taking over of administrative rights on November 15, 1945, Mr. Lo symbolized a new era of NTU’s academic study and research, thus officially unlocked the gate of NTU’s operation.
NTU has undergone 77 years of remarkable achievement since its foundation in 1928, through 2005. With joint efforts of teachers and students, NTU has gained its reputation has a world-renowned university. During the past decades, NTU has nurtured as many as 170 thousands of scholars. There is little doubt that NTU does have a profound influence on the development and pulsation of the Taiwan society, as well as major national constructions. As time went by, however, the need for a formal station to display historic documents, records on the development of this school and information on alumni contributions became evident. Without a fixed location, faculties, students and alumni found it difficult to agglomerate or reunite. Besides, lack of compilation of necessary information increased the difficulty of introducing NTU to the general public or foreigners.
Therefore, at the start of the millennium, NTU school authorities designated the university library to form an organizing committee for The Gallery of National Taiwan University History. In June 2005, The Gallery of National Taiwan University History was formally established. The gallery is located at the second floor of NTU’s old main library, at the site of previous central reading room, the building itself being listed as historic monument under protection of Taipei city government. Displays now include information on the development of NTU, various landmarks in the school history, outstanding contributions by distinguished alumni, for people from all walks of life to learn about the NTU spirit, and subsequently gain identification towards the university as a whole.
Topics on display comprise of the NTU spirit, important events and chronology, academic achievements, the pursuit of distinction, society concerns and services, campus life, terrain features and landscape of the expanding campus, Window to University Museums and so on. The exhibition of various historic relics not only brings interesting old stories of NTU people and memories back to life, but also reveals NTU’s present and future. It is the expectation of the school authority that while cherishing the memory of past glories, faculties, students and alumni could embrace greater aspirations towards a more promising and meritorious future, thus putting the university ideal into practice.