||| 臺灣大學博物館群 ( NTU Museums ) |||

 
  ● Gallery of NTU History
  ● Museum of Anthropology
  ● Geo-specimen Cottage
  ● NTU Heritage Hall of Physics
  ● Insectarium
  ● NTU Agricultural Exhibition Hall
  ● Herbarium of NTU
  ● Museum of Zoology
  ● Museum of Archives
  Museum of Medical Humanities
 


Museum of Medical Humanities


The School of Medicine was founded in 1897 by the Japanese government, the ruler of Taiwan at that time. The School was subsequently incorporated into the Taipei Imperial University, and was the first institute offering medical education and conferring medical degree in Taiwan.

The biological and pharmacological laboratory in the building was completed         first (the building at Zhongshan South Road, completed in December 1907). The main building and the front gate were then completed in succession (the building at Jen ai Road, completed in November 1913). The building was designed by Kondo Masamitsu, who adopted the French architectural style of the late-renaissance period. The lecture hall is magnificent in style and its sound projection is perfect; it is also available for holding concerts. The roof is of Manschell architectural style, covered with slates and copper finishing. The round windows on the slanting roof and the arcades endow the entire architectural configuration with simplicity and elegance. However, the rehabilitated roof was destroyed in a fire on November 30, 1930. Shortly after 1945, National Taiwan University re-named it as the Medical Humanities Building.

Reconstruction of the medical college and the affiliated hospital was commenced in 1980. All of the old buildings were demolished, including the original lecture hall (demolished in 1985). Dr. Bor- Shen Hsieh, the former dean, and other faculty members, considering that Medical Humanities Building is the only historical building on the medical campus, and the witness of the development of the medical college, decided to have it reconstructed and preserved.

In January 1995, funding for reconstruction was raised among the alumni; the reconstruction then commenced in August, and Medical Humanities Building was put into service on February 21, 1998. Furthermore, Jingfu Garden was also established adjacent to the building according to the landscape planning.

The preservation and reconstruction of Medical Humanities Building is based    on the humanis tic spirit and the precious historical value of the development of local Taiwan medical science. The Medical Humanities building has become the center for medical humanities education, the exhibition of medical culture artifacts, and social center for alumni, faculty members and students. It is expected that it will encourage students to learn from their predecessors, carry on fine traditions, and bring into full play its potential educational function.

The Museum of Medical Humanities regularly holds special medical and cultural exhibitions, demonstrating the contributions of the college to medical development in various fields in Taiwan . It also provides teachers with educational and research information relating to medical humanities.


Information:

Hours: Tuesday to Sunday 9:30~16:30
Closed on Monday and national holidays
TEL:
+886-2-2312-3456 Ext.88926
Web: http://mmh.mc.ntu.edu.tw/
Location:

||| 臺灣大學博物館群 ( NTU Museums ) |||
  
NTU Museums (C) All Rights Reserved.   R321, National Taiwan University Library, 1 Roosevelt Rd. Sec. 4, Taipei 106, Taiwan
TEL:02-3366-3818   FAX:02-3366-3817  Email:museums@ntu.edu.tw
   八十臺大、前進百大